What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers (also known as ‘porcelain veneers’ or ‘dental porcelain laminates’) are custom designed, durable wafer-thin shells made from either porcelain or a resin composite. They are bonded to the front surfaces of teeth to improve the appearance of tooth shape, colour, size and alignment.
It is a simple 2 step process….
The procedure is usually completed in two visits which is a simple and relatively quick route to improve your smile, the first part of the procedure involves the dentist removing a small amount of enamel from the front of your tooth and the second appointment the veneers are fitted into place.
First Appointment – Preparation
- Scott Makiol will give you a local anaesthetic to numb the tooth and the surrounding gum.
- A small amount of tooth is removed from the front surface of your tooth to make room for the veneers.
- An impression (mould) is taken of your teeth using special dental “putty”. An impression is also taken of the opposing teeth, so we can see how you bite together.
- Scott Makiol may fit temporary veneers to protect the teeth whilst your veneers are being fabricated.
- The impression (mould) of your teeth is sent to the Dental Laboratory where each veneer will be handcrafted to create your new smile. This process can take between two and three weeks.
Second Appointment – Fit
- Your temporary veneers will be removed.
- Your new veneers will be carefully placed in your mouth to make sure that you are happy with the appearance.
- The veneers will be permanently cemented in place to create the beautiful smile you have been waiting for.
Looking After Your Veneers
Veneers can last a long time but a lot depends on how you take care of them. You must maintain good oral hygiene brushing and flossing twice a day, also have 6 monthly examinations with your dentists.